For the last few years, my travel and appearances schedule has been pretty heavy. I'm away from home about three months of the year altogether. Because I'm in California and most events tend to take place on the other side of the country, I've had to be careful not to live half the year in a plane. So what made Authors After Dark one of my must-attend conventions? Lemme tell you. :)
I wasn't able to attend Authors After Dark the first year I was invited, but I did get it worked out last year and I'm so glad I did! I can really gush about this event and since that's the purpose of this blog post, I will.
* Personally, I'm going because there were so many opportunities to sit down with other readers and talk about books and how much fun we were having. Every meal found me at a new table, with new table-mates. I talked with new readers in the hallways, at breakfast, in the elevator... everywhere. Because of the intimacy of the event, it was so much easier to connect with others than I've experienced elsewhere.
But overall, here are the some of the things that really impressed me about AAD:
1) I have no idea how Stella pulls it off, but AAD was the best coordinated event of this size that I've attended. It was very much like one of the larger reader conventions on a smaller, far more intimate scale. Basically, all the benefits and far less of the detriments.
2) There were a TON of books there. I came home with more books from AAD than I did any other convention last year.
3) The food was really good. No rubber chicken or congealed WTF-is-that? stuff anywhere. From the rolls to dessert, I was impressed with the quality and quantity of the food.
4) The presentation was stunning. From the banners in the hallways to the beautiful themed table centerpieces, it seemed like every small detail had been carefully considered.
5) There were authors everywhere. I met so many new-to-me authors because of AAD, and I was able to spend time with them while they were relaxed and having fun.
I'm really looking forward to AAD this year, and I already have AAD-2012 on my schedule. It's a really wonderful time. I look forward to seeing YOU there! :)
Goodreads: Sylvia Day