Thursday, July 16, 2009

CONFESSIONS OF A CONTEMPORARY AUTHOR



First, an admission. I'm a born worrier. I'll worry about anything, even things that no person in their right mind would be concerned about. For instance, my irrational fear of helium balloons flying away while I'm holding them. Yeah, I know. Crazy.

Anyway, in my writing I worry too about things that are at least a little more logical. Such as, are my characters realistic? Are their motives understandable? Do their actions follow what any reader would do in a similar situation in real life? Such are the pitfalls of writing straight contemporary romance. That is why I found writing paranormal such a refreshing change. Now, after writing and releasing "Erato" for Tease's print anthology Love's Immortal Pantheon I, and the short eBook for ARe "Eros' Valentine", the third story I've written in the paranormal erotic genre, Bacchanal, is no less thrilling for me as a writer.

I must confess that being able to create characters that have no qualms about anything was a very freeing experience for me. I find the ancient Greek gods fascinating. More, I found being able to write about sex without worrying about character motivation or social mores incredibly erotic. These all-powerful beings eat when hungry, sleep when tired and have sex when it pleases them. They are the walking, talking, breathing personifications of the id hidden inside all of us; those raw desires that we all suppress.

Attending the Authors After Dark event and being able to celebrate my paranormal works with others who love the genre will be a pleasure and I look forward to it greatly. Though unlike Dionysus in "Bacchanal" I won't be attending the parties oiled and nude except for a mask, I still intend on having a hell of a lot of fun.

I hope to see you there!
Cat




My newest god story, Bacchanal, released in eBook July 15th.

Excerpt and Buy Link at All Romance eBooks

No comments: